Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Brave New World by Matt Forbeck and Newform.

I had a great talk with Matt at Gen Con one year. At the time I was not familiar with his books, or his Delta setting. Amazing how similar in huge ways the Brave New Word and it's Delta's are akin to my 'next wave/Bolt's World' setting. Specifically in it's fluffy/PI elements. No wonder me and Matt hit it off. Bolt's World is a champions/hero system setting and pan dimensionally nearer to each other than the either of them are to Marvel Verse or the DCU. Next time I see him I should ask if he read the Ultraverse. Prime and the Freaks were a huge inspiration to me as I was developing Bolt's World. Brave New World even uses an Alpha throug Delta descriptor for their Super Humans, even though their Delta is more like my Gamma (alpha, beta, gamma, delta) and my Delta would be more like an Epsilon as in Bolt's World there are regular Williams out there with the 'super human power' to create a matchstick strength spark, and no more.
Brave New World is a attribute and skill success based system. Similar to the popular World of Darkness 2.0 ~ only much simpler. Compared to the differential equations envisioned for the completed Bolt's World Campaign Suplement (publication available convergently with the Television Premier and Graphic Novelization Release (dont forget the quality action figures)) Brave New World's system side is simple, easy, and elegant. Exploding sixes, and non point buy character creation really cynch it as a character driven story play. Encourages roleplaying, you see. The exploding successes systems are one quick step from a monitored game of cowboys and indians. The moment a question comes up you toss some dice and bingo the coin says heads. Irecently read of a character driven story play system that used no mechanics at all! It was a purely round robin story telling concept called Radience.
I honestly prefer simulational games. D20, Hero, GURPS. These are system systems that stick to the Gygaxian ideology that roleplaying is encouraged by your fellow players. The conductor is one of these players in this sense. Pitting his own creations ~ be they dragon or foxbat ~ verses the entier team of PC. PC v GM is the oldform. Newform is much along the lines of the oldform addage '+ And - 2 is a DM's best friend' and other Gygaxian 'dont tell the Dungeon Master that he doesn't need the rules' addages. I cheat. If I am running premades and they are not hauling hard enough in combat? Pump em. Allot of time I snatch a thing out of a book and then swing the numbers around by as much 10, at least in D20. Gemstone Golem? God base, now add a paraltic sonic blast field, a double crit shatter point, and a refraction contingent beam attack ..and more HP. Nothing ever has enough hit point. I also let my players get away with murder ..if they evil.
The game is for the players ~ Newform.

No comments:

Post a Comment