Friday, March 11, 2011

What is in a name?

A whole lot of less annoying if you have a good one. D&D. Its all D&D to me. I really mean that. To me the name of the game is D&D. I will call it that until.. the end of time. To infinity and beyond.. to myself at least. However, the craft needs a better name than an a convenient acronym that seems reminiscent of small chocolate candies. D&D needs a name by which it can be studied and understood. Like when you write a good adventure. The title should say it all. That is true for anything. A good title really tells the story. I played in an adventure titled World's Largest Dungeon and that title really prepared me for what I was embarking on. My character died walking around a corner. Looked right at a death rune on the wall - poof. Poor ex-paladin wererat human. I was going to redeem him.. ah well. Sadly I don't remember his name off the top of my head.

Chamber Play? Game Play? Table Top Game?

Why don't I like Table Top? It makes me think of a dance club. Role Playing Game makes me think of people dressing up and having a costume party. More like Who's Line is it Anyway? than what I mean by D&D! Storytelling seems too sacrosanct. A storyteller takes you into a story. A story starts and finishes. There is a beginning and and ending, a protagonist and a trial. The storyteller tells the story. Thats storytelling. D&D is too free form to be allowed into this ancient fireside art. I like the term running and conducting games. At the very least as the verbs for the action that I am performing when I am 'administering' the game world of a TTRPG.

Game Play.. something seems so nice about that term. I plan on tossing it around for a ..while.


No comments:

Post a Comment